The Margaret Thatcher Scholarship Trust (MTST) was established by Somerville College to enable the most promising students to benefit from the unique education and intellectual environment that is offered by the College and University.
These scholarships have been made possible through the generosity of Mr Wafic Said, the Michael Bishop Foundation and numerous friends and alumni. The aims of the Thatcher Scholarships are to:
- Foster academic excellence
- Support individuals who have a determination to succeed and have displayed resilience in their personal circumstances
- Equip them to excel in their chosen field
In 2024, at least two Thatcher Scholarships will be awarded separately to undergraduates who meet the following criteria:
- Have Home/ROI/Islands fee status
- Have achieved outstanding results in their first public examination in 2024 and have been nominated by their tutor
The scholarship will cover full fees, and will provide generous living and travel allowances. Scholars will also receive the living and travel allowances retrospectively for their first year and their course fees for that year will be reimbursed. For Classics students, this will apply to the first two years of their course.
Eligible students will be contacted during the Long Vacation with an invitation for them to apply and with more details of the selection process. Applications will be considered by a Selection Panel and shortlisted candidates will be invited for interview at the start of Michaelmas Term.
If you have any queries, please email the Scholarships and Funding Officer.