Through the generosity of ST Telemedia, the Lee Kuan Yew – Thatcher Scholarships have been created to enable Singaporean students from disadvantaged backgrounds to undertake undergraduate studies in one of the leading universities in the world.
These are unique scholarships in that they fully fund all aspects of undergraduate studies, including tuition fees and living expenses.
The Lee Kuan Yew – Thatcher Scholarship is open to undergraduate offer holders with overseas fee status who are ordinarily resident in Singapore and can demonstrate that they have succeeded against the odds. Success against adversity could be by socio-economic background2, through disability, bereavement, or through being a first-generation university student.
The scholarship is available for undergraduate courses across a wide range of disciplines, with the exception of Medicine. Preference will be given to students with an offer for one of the following courses:
- Engineering Science
- Economics and Joint Schools
- Mathematics, Computer Science and Statistics
- Philosophy, Politics and Economics
Students from schools that do not traditionally send students to Oxford and Cambridge may be considered.
* To be considered to be in financial need, the candidate must come from a family with a monthly per capita income (“PCI”, which is computed by dividing the monthly gross household income by the number of family members living in the same household) of S$2,250 or less.
The scholarship will fully fund the duration of study for a successful candidate. In the academic year 2021/22 this will be:
- Course fees of between £28,370 and £37,510 (this will vary according to the course)
- Living expenses up to £12,526
- Travel costs of £849
The costs above are the for the first year of study only. Course fees and the living and travel allowance will increase over the following years at an estimate of, but not exceeding, 3%.
In order to be considered for this scholarship, you must first apply for and be offered a place at Somerville. Please visit applying to Oxford for more information about the application process. Eligible candidates will be contacted in January 2022 and invited to apply for the scholarship. This scholarship is only tenable at Somerville.