The Alice Horsman Fund was established in 1953. Applications for Hilary Term will open in December.
The purpose of the fund is:
- To provide alumni with opportunities to travel at such time in their careers as may be of most value to them, in order to either broaden their experience of other countries and their peoples or to carry out research
- To support alumni in a significant career change
Alice Horsman was a Classics student at Somerville College, Oxford. She matriculated in 1908 and was among the first women to be called to the English Bar. She practiced law for many years until deteriorating hearing forced her to end her career. Her law chambers were destroyed in the Blitz in 1940, and in 1943 she bought the Drimnin estate in Morvern, Argyll and took up farming. With her adventurous spirit she took up sailing at the age of 65, cruising across the Bay of Biscay to the Mediterranean and later across the North Sea to Norway, keeping a medicine cupboard of Scotch whisky on board and never once succumbing to seasickness! She died in 1978 at the age of 89, but her abiding interest in her College never waned in her lifetime.
All Somerville alumni are eligible with the exception of visiting and associate students. It is not possible to use the fund to support course-related travel or research costs incurred by alumni studying at other universities or Oxford colleges. This includes Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (BMBCH) students. Priority will be given to applicants who have not received previous awards.
Applicants should be in need of financial support, and be able to demonstrate that their proposed project meets one of the two aims of the Alice Horsman Fund:
- To support travel in order to either broaden experience or carry out research
- To support a significant career change
The planned travel or project must start after a certain date each term. In Hilary Term, this is Wednesday 8th February. It is not possible to be considered for retrospective funding unless there are exceptional circumstances.
Up to £1,000. In exceptional circumstances, it is possible to make awards of up to £2,000.
- The application form will be available to download in December.
- Applicants should complete the application form and email it to the Scholarships and Funding Officer by the relevant deadline. In Hilary Term, this is Monday 23rd January They should also include any evidence of estimated or actual costs.
- Applicants should also arrange for a reference to be submitted to the Scholarships and Funding Officer by Wednesday 1st February.
Application and project deadlines
Applications are accepted each term.
|Term||Deadline for application to be received||Deadline for reference to be received||Deadline for project to start|
|Michaelmas Term 2022||Monday 17th October||Wednesday 26th October||Wednesday 2nd November|
|Hilary Term 2023||Monday 23rd January||Wednesday 1st February||Wednesday 8th February|
|Trinity Term 2023||Monday 8th May||Wednesday 17th May||Wednesday 24th May|
Decisions will be made by Somerville College Travel and Special Project Grants Committee.
Successful applicants will be expected to submit a report after the completion of their project.
If you have any queries, please email the Scholarships and Funding Officer.