Alice Horsman Scholarships for Alumni
The Alice Horsman Fund was established in 1953 by a gift from Miss Alice Horsman (1908-1913). Its purpose is:
1. To provide alumni with opportunities to travel at such time in their careers as may be of most value to them, in order to either broaden their experience of other countries and their peoples or to carry out research
2. To support alumni in a significant career change
The application form for Hilary Term will be available to download in December.
All Somerville alumni are eligible with the exception of visiting and associate students. It is also not possible to use the fund to support course-related travel or research costs incurred by alumni studying at other universities or Oxford colleges. This includes Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (BMBCH) students. Applicants should be in need of financial support, and be able to demonstrate that their proposed project meets one of the two aims of the Alice Horsman Fund:
1. To support travel in order to either broaden experience or carry out research
2. To support a significant career change
Priority will be given to applicants who have not received previous awards.
Up to £1,000. In exceptional circumstances, it is possible to make awards of £2,000.
Applicants should complete the application form and email it to the Scholarships and Funding Officer with evidence of any estimated or actual costs.
For Hilary Term, applications must be received by 12 noon on Monday 25th October. The applications deadlines for other terms are:
- Trinity Term: Monday 12th April
For Hilary Term, references must be received by 12 noon on Wednesday 3rd February. The reference deadlines for other terms are:
- Trinity Term: Wednesday 21st April
For Michaelmas Term, the planned travel or project must start after Wednesday 10th February. It is not possible to be considered for retrospective funding unless there are exceptional circumstances. The project deadlines for other terms are:
- Trinity Term: Wednesday 28th April
All applications will be acknowledged once the deadline has passed. Decisions are made by the Somerville College Travel and Special Project Grants Committee.
Successful applicants will be expected to submit a brief report after the completion of their project.
If you have any queries, please email the Scholarships and Funding Officer.