Examinations and assessments

Examinations are governed by the University Exam Regulations, and you should be familiar with the regulations for your course.

The University publishes lots of information about exams on the Examinations and Assessments web pages which you should read

The main role of colleges in examinations is to support students needing alternative arrangements or who have mitigating circumstances. We also offer advice and guidance on exam preparation, and the Keep Calm and Carry On leaflet is distributed to all students via their pigeonholes at the start of Trinity term.


Health problems

If you have a health issue which means it is likely you will need alternative arrangements for exams, then arrange to speak to the Welfare Officer well in advance so that these can be put in place in plenty of time.

If you have to sit any exams in college, the Academic Office will make the arrangements once the exam schedule has been received. They will send you a timetable stating where your exams will take place and who your invigilator will be.

Should you experience sudden health problems that mean you can’t go to a scheduled exam at one of the standard venues (e.g. the exam schools) then contact the Academic Office as soon as possible on 70619 or by calling in to House 5 in person. The office is open from 8am during Trinity term.


Mitigating circumstances

If you experience significant disruption during your exam period it may be possible to make a request for mitigating circumstances to be considered by the Proctors. If these relate to health issues then please contact the Welfare Officer, otherwise contact the Undergraduate Officer (UGs) or the Tutorial and Graduate Officer (PGs) who will help you make an application.


Procedural problems

If you experience any administrative issues with an exam (e.g. clocks not being visible or present, procedures not being followed) then contact the Undergraduate Officer (UGs) or the Tutorial and Graduate Officer (PGs) as soon as possible after the event. They will be able to lodge a complaint to the Proctors on your behalf and ensure that factors that have affected your performance are taken into account.


Late submission of written work

The college is automatically notified if written assessments are submitted late.

Please contact your department in the first instance if you wish to contest late submission of written work.

If it becomes apparent that a procedural issue led to the delay then the department will advise the Academic Office that it may be possible to submit an appeal to the Proctors.

Please do therefore take care when submitting written assessments.