This scholarship has been established by Somerville College and the University of Oxford through the generous support of Mr Gopal Subramanium, former Solicitor General of India.
Applicants must be ordinarily resident in India or have previously studied at an Indian higher education institution.
The scholarship is open to applicants for the following courses:
- MSc Biodiversity Conservation and Management
- MSc Water Science, Policy and Management
- MSc Environmental Change and Management
- MSc Modern South Asian Studies
- MSc Nature, Society and Environmental Governance
- MSc Economics for Development
- MSc Global Governance and Diplomacy
- MSc Sustainability, Enterprise and the Environment
Applicants for the following courses will also be considered, but please note that these are not offered as standard by Somerville:
- MSc Energy Systems
- MSc Global Health Science and Epidemiology
- MSc Clinical Trials
- MSc Precision Cancer Medicine
Scholarships will be awarded on the basis of academic merit, relevance of studies to the Centre’s interdisciplinary aims, understanding of the development challenges faced by India, and leadership and entrepreneurial potential.
The scholarship covers course fees and a grant for living costs. Awards are made for the duration of fee liability for the course.
Number of awards
One scholarship is available for 2022 entry.
This scholarship is only tenable at Somerville. All eligible candidates who have applied for graduate study by the relevant funding deadline will be considered, regardless of which college preference (if any) is included in the graduate application. Successful scholars will be transferred to Somerville. There is no separate application process, but shortlisted candidates will be asked to attend a video interview. Selection is expected to take place in May 2022.
If you have any queries, please email the Scholarships and Funding Officer.