Senior Research Fellow in Computer Science; Professor of Computer Science
Before coming to Oxford, I worked in the Information Management Group, School of Computer Science, University of Manchester.
I got my PhD from the University of Karlsruhe under supervision of Prof. Rudi Studer. While in Karlsruhe, Germany, I was employed at the Research Center for Information Technologies (FZI). I have worked with companies including EDF and Samsung.
I am interested in developing algorithms and techniques necessary for realizing advanced applications in the Semantic Web. In the past, my research is focused around the ontology language OWL. More recently, I became interested in applying ontology techniques to data management problems in databases and big data. Specifically, I am investigating ways in using variants of datalog — a language at the intersection of logic programming and databases — to represent and access data, and I am studying the related theoretical and practical problems, such as efficient evaluation of datalog programs and efficient maintenance of datalog materialisations. My research involves the development of tools that demonstrates the techniques I am working on.
You can view a complete list of my publications with downloadable papers here.
- Distinguished Paper at the 2017 International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence for the paper “Foundations of Declarative Data Analysis Using Limit Datalog Programs”
- Best Applications Paper at the 2016 International Semantic Web Conference for the paper “Semantic Technologies for Data Analysis in Health Care”
- The 2013 Roger Needham award by the British Computer Society (BCS) for “a distinguished research contribution in computer science”
- Selected as one of “2008 AI’s 10 to Watch” by the IEEE Intelligent Systems magazine
- The 2007 Cor Baayen award by the European Research Consortium for Informatics and Mathematics (ERCIM) for “a most promising young researcher in computer science and applied mathematics”
- Best Paper at the 2005 International Semantic Web Conference for the paper “On the Properties of Metamodeling in OWL”
You can view a complete list of my publications with downloadable papers here: