Please read the following information about term dates.
The Oxford academic year is divided into three terms:
- Michaelmas (autumn term)
- Hilary (spring term)
- Trinity (summer term)
In Oxford, a week runs from Sunday to Saturday. Weeks during term-time are known as 0th Week, 1st Week (which is the first standard teaching week of term), 2nd Week etc.
First year undergraduate students
Michaelmas Term 2018: Sunday 7th October to Saturday 1st December
- Arrival date: Tuesday 2nd October
- Departure date: Saturday 1st December
Hilary Term 2019: Sunday 13th January to Saturday 9th March
- Arrival date: Wednesday 9th January (although you will be able to return to college from Sunday 6th January)
- Departure date: Saturday 9th March (although dependent on first year exams)
Trinity Term 2019: Sunday 28th April to Saturday 22nd June
- Arrival date: Wednesday 24th April (although you will be able to return to college from Sunday 21st April)
- Departure date: Saturday 22nd June (although dependent on first year exams)
At Somerville, first year undergraduates on standard courses are, in their first term, required to arrive at the College on Tuesday 2nd October in 0th Week. Some first year courses have University exams after the end of Hilary and Trinity terms. You are therefore advised to wait until you have started your course and know your exam arrangements before booking travel for the ends of Hilary and Trinity terms. In all other terms, and in later years of your course, undergraduates on courses with standard term dates will be required to sign in at the College by 16.00 on Wednesday of 0th Week in each term.
First year Graduate Entry Medicine students
First year Graduate Entry Medicine students are required to arrive by Thursday 20th September 2018, for a course start date of Friday 21st September 2018.
Please note that graduate taught courses will likely require you to be in Oxford outside the standard undergraduate term dates. For graduates working towards research degrees, term dates may be of little relevance.