2019 graduate freshers’ week and welcome events
Please read the following information about freshers’ week.
The week beginning Sunday 6th October is freshers’ week. During this week, you will be required to attend induction sessions both at Somerville and at your department or faculty . There will also be the opportunity to attend optional events organised by the MCR and Oxford SU.
Freshers’ dinner on Monday 7th October
The Principal will host a special welcome dinner in the Dining Hall for all new graduate students on Monday 7th October. It will be preceded by a drinks reception. This is a formal occasion so you will be expected to dress smartly although gowns will not be worn. Please email email@example.com if you have any special dietary requirements. Please note that there is no charge for this dinner.
Matriculation on Saturday 19th October
Matriculation is the process by which you officially become a member of the University of Oxford. The ceremony for Somerville students will take place at 12:00 on Saturday 19th October. You will be sent more information about this during freshers’ week. You must attend this ceremony unless:
- You have previously matriculated at Oxford.
- You hold a degree from the University of Cambridge or Trinity College Dublin. You might be able to incorporate your degree instead of matriculating. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to incorporate instead of matriculate. Please note that the University charges a fee for incorporation.
- You are studying the Advanced Diploma in British and European Studies.
- You are studying the MSc in Sleep Medicine.
- There is a very good reason why you cannot attend on this date. If you are unavailable, please let the Academic Office know immediately. Please note that you will be required to matriculate at a later date.
First year photograph on Saturday 19th October
The College’s first year photograph will be taken before the matriculation ceremony on Saturday 19th October. Even if you will not be matriculating, please attend the photograph as it will be a record of all students starting a course in 2019/20. Copies of the photograph will be available to purchase later in term. You will be sent more information about this during freshers’ week.