Dr Radhika Khosla
Dr Radhika Khosla is the Research Director of the Oxford India Centre for Sustainable Development and Research Fellow at Somerville College; and an Associate Professor at the Smith School of Enterprise and Environment, School of Geography and the Environment, at the University of Oxford. She works on examining the productive tensions between urban transitions, energy services consumption and climate change, with a focus on developing country cities.
Radhika is the Principal Investigator of the Oxford Martin School’s interdisciplinary and multi-country programme on the Future of Cooling. Alongside she leads complementary research projects on urban transitions and space cooling consumption (focussing on India), and on cold-chains. She also leads the climate change research under DFID’s India-UK Global Partnership Programme on Development, which includes co-directing an executive education programme on Leadership in a Climate Emergency for business leaders. She is a contributing author to the sixth assessment report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) and lead author of the UNEP Emissions Gap Report (2020).
Her other academic affiliations are at University of Pennsylvania, and the Centre for Policy Research, New Delhi. Radhika serves on government policy committees, and boards of journals and book presses.
The two sets of interrelated questions underlie her research priorities. First, how does consumption of energy-related services change as cities urbanize? What are the socio-technical drivers, systems and institutional structures that shape (and can reconfigure) energy and carbon emission pathways? Second, what forms of governance and political rationalities characterize the varied urban responses to climate change in rapidly developing cities, given their (often competing) objectives to provide urban services? Her broader interdisciplinary research examines how cities in transition manage the tensions of meeting growing energy needs for development while protecting the local and global environment.
Previously, she has been at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Fellow at the Centre for Policy Research in New Delhi, and Staff Scientist at the Natural Resources Defense Council in New York. At the latter, she helped set up the organization’s work on clean energy and climate change in India and led research and implementation on building energy policies in Indian states.
Radhika holds a PhD in the Geophysical Sciences from the University of Chicago and an undergraduate and master’s degrees in Physics from the University of Oxford.
Governance, Policy and Politics for the MSc in Nature, Society and Environmental Governance, School of Geography and the Environment
Environmental Governance and Development for the MSc in Nature, Society and Environmental Governance, School of Geography and the Environment
Climate Change Negotiations: Policy Challenge for the Master’s in Public Policy, Blavatnik School of Government
Global Opportunities and Threats: Oxford Program for MBA students, Saïd Business School
Climate Change School, Oxford Climate Society, University of Oxford
- Renaldia, R., Miranda, N.D., Khosla, R. and McCulloch, M.D. (2021) Patent landscape of not-in-kind active cooling technologies between 1998 and 2017. Journal of Cleaner Production, 2196. 126507.
- Al Saud, N., Al Shalan, M., Al Shehri, T., Bari, M., Beaugrand, M., Howarth, N., Khosla, R., Krarti, M., Lanza, A., Lebot, B., Mangotra, K., Odnoletkova, N., Patzek, T. and Saheb, Y. (2020) Enhancing Voluntary Collaboration on Cooling Through the G20. T20 Saudi Arabia 2020 Think
- Bhardwaj, A. and Khosla, R. (2020) Superimposition: How Indian city bureaucracies are responding to climate change. Environment and Planning E: Nature and Space: 1-32.
- Capstick, S., Khosla, R. and Wang, S. (2020) Bridging the gap – the role of equitable low-carbon lifestyles. UNEP Emissions Gap Report.
- Creutzig, F., Bai, X., Khosla, R., Viguie, V. and Yamagata, Y. (2020) Systematizing and upscaling urban climate change mitigation. Environmental Research Letters, 15(10). 100202.
- Kamat, A.S., Khosla, R. and Narayanamurti, V. (2020) Illuminating homes with LEDs in India: Rapid market creation towards low-carbon technology transition in a developing country. Energy Research and Social Science, 66. 101488.
- Khosla, R. and Dubash, N. (2020) Rethinking India’s Energy Policy: Development Challenge around Multiple Objectives. Economic and Political Weekly, 55(32-33): 38-44.
- Khosla, R., et al. (2020) Climate Action Pathway: Net-Zero Cooling – Executive Summary. Cool Coalition / UNEP
- Khosla, R., Kamat, A.S. and Narayanamurti, V. (2020) Successful clean energy technology transitions in emerging economies: learning from India, China, and Brazil. Progress in Energy, 2(4). 043002.
- Khosla, R., Miranda, N.D., Trotter, P.A., Mazzone, A., Renaldi, R., McElroy, C., Cohen, F., Jani, A., Perera-Salazar, R. and McCulloch, M. (2020) Cooling for sustainable development. Nature Sustainability.
- Ürge-Vorsatz, D., Khosla, R., Bernhardt, R., Chan, Y.C., Vérez, D., Hu, S. and Cabeza, L.F. (2020) Advances Toward a Net-Zero Global Building Sector. Annual Review of Environment and Resources, 45: 227-269.
- Bhardwaj, A., Joshi, M., Khosla, R. and Dubash, N.K. (2019) More priorities, more problems? Decision-making with multiple energy, development and climate objectives. Energy Research and Social Science, 49: 143-157.
- Khosla, R. (2019) India and Subnational Climate Change: An Emerging Discourse. Harvard Project on Climate Agreements
- Khosla, R. and Bhardwaj, A. (2019) Urban India and Climate Change. Chapter 25 in, Dubash, N. (ed.) India in a Warming World: Integrating Climate Change and Development. Oxford University Press. 504 pp. ISBN: 9780199498734.
- Khosla, R. and Janda, K.B. (2019) India’s building stock: towards energy and climate change solutions. Building Research and Information, 47(1): 1-7.
- Khosla, R., Sircar, N. and Bhardwaj, A. (2019) Energy demand transitions and climate mitigation in low-income urban households in India. Environmental Research Letters, 14. 095008.
- Bhardwaj, A. and Khosla, R. (2018) Integrating Urban Development and Climate Objectives: Insights from Coimbatore. Centre for Policy Research
- Cohen, B., Blanco, H., Dubash, N.K., Dukkipati, S., Khosla, R., Scrieciu, S., Stewart, T. and Torres-Gunfaus, M. (2018) Multi-criteria decision analysis in policy making for climate mitigation and development. Climate and Development.
- Creutzig, F., Roy, J., Lamb, W.F., Azevedo, I.M.L., Bruine de Bruin, W., Dalkmann, H., Edelenbosch, O.Y., Geels, F.W., Grubler, A., Hepburn, C., Hertwich, E., Khosla, R., Mattauch, L., Minx, J.C., Ramakrishnan, A., Rao, N.D., Steinberger, J., Tavoni, M., Urge-Vorsatz, D. and Weber, E.U. (2018) Towards demand-side solutions for mitigating climate change. Nature Climate Change, 8: 268-271.
- Dubash, N.K., Khosla, R., Kelkar, U. and Lele, S. (2018) India and Climate Change: Evolving Ideas and Increasing Policy Engagement. Annual Review of Environment and Resources, 43: 395-424.
- Dubash, N.K., Khosla, R., Rao, N.D. and Bhardwaj, A. (2018) India’s energy and emissions future: an interpretive analysis of model scenarios. Environmental Research Letters, 13(7): 1-12. 074018.
- Khosla, R. (2018) A view of energy use from India’s buildings. In, Elmqvist, T., et al (ed.) Urban Planet: Knowledge towards Sustainable Cities. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. ISBN: 9781316647554.
- Khosla, R. (2018) Plugging In: Energy Demand in Indian Residences. Kleinman Centre for Energy Policy, University of Pennsylvania
- Khosla, R. and Bhardwaj, A. (2018) Urbanization in the time of climate change: Examining the response of Indian cities. Wiley Interdiscplinary Reviews: Climate Change, 560: 1-13.
- Lamb, W.F., Callaghan, M.W., Creutzig, F., Khosla, R. and Minx, J.C. (2018) The literature landscape on 1.5°C: Climate Change and Cities. Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability, 30: 26-34.
- Bhardwaj, A. and Khosla, R. (2017) Mainstreaming Climate Actions in Indian Cities: Case Study of Rajkot. Centre for Policy Research
- Khosla, R. and Chunekar, A. (2017) Plugging In: A Collection of Insights on Electricity Use in Indian Homes. Centre for Policy Research, New Delhi and Prayas (Energy Group), Pune
- Khosla, R., Sagar, A. and Mathur, A. (2017) Multilevel climate governance and technology deployment: a view from India’s buildings sector. Environmental Policy and Governance, 27(2): 149-162.
- Creutzig, F., Fernandez, B., Haber, H., Khosla, R., Mulugetta, Y. and Seto, K.C. (2016) Beyond technology: demand-side solutions to climate change mitigation. Annual Review of Environment and Resources, 41: 173-198.
- Dubash, N.K. and Khosla, R. (2016) Recovering key strategic concepts in India’s climate policy. Economic and Political Weekly, 50(24): 127-129.
- Joshi, M. and Khosla, R. (2016) India: Meeting energy needs for development while addressing climate change. In, Roehrkasten, Thielges and Quitzow (eds.) G20’s potential for advancing a global transition towards sustainable energy. Institute for Advanced Sustainability Studies, Potsdam.
- Khosla, R. (2016) Closing the policy gap: building energy code lessons from Andhra Pradesh. Economic and Political Weekly, 51(2): 66-73.
- Saran, S. and Khosla, R. (2016) Energizing India-Japan cooperation on clean energy and climate change. Chapter 4 in, Mukherjee, R. and Yazaki, A. (eds.) Poised for Partnership: Deepening India-Japan Relations in the Asian Century. Oxford University Press. ISBN: 9780199466481.
- Dubash, N.K. and Khosla, R. (2015) India’s Sustainable Development Led Approach to Climate Mitigation for Paris. Centre for Policy Research
- Dubash, N.K. and Khosla, R. (2015) Neither brake nor accelerator: assessing India’s climate contribution. Economic and Political Weekly, 50(42): 10-14.
- Dubash, N.K., Khosla, R., Rao, N.D. and Rahul Sharma, K. (2015) Informing India’s Energy and Climate Debate: Policy Lessons from Modelling Studies. Centre for Policy Research
- Khosla, R., Dukkipati, S., Dubash, N.K., Sreenivas, A. and Cohen, B. (2015) Toward methodologies for multiple-objective based energy policy. Economic and Political Weekly, 50(49): 49-59.
- Rao, N.D., McCollum, D., Dubash, N.K. and Khosla, R. (2015) Development and Climate Policy Synergies: Insights from global modelling studies. Centre for Policy Research
- Frederick, J. and Khosla, R. (2014) The energy balance of an urban rooftop: a case study addressing cloudiness and evaporative cooling. Advances in Building Energy Research, 8(1): 97-115.
- Knowlton, K., Kulkarni, S.P., Azhar, G.S., Mavalankar, D., Jaiswal, A., Connolly, M., Nori-Sarma, A., Rajiva, A., Dutta, P., Deol, B., Sanchez, L., Khosla, R., Webster, P.J., Toma, V.E., Sheffield, P., Hess, J.J., and the Ahmedabad Heat and Climate Study Group (2014) Development and Implementation of South Asia’s First Heat-Health Action Plan in Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 11(4): 3473-3492.
- Khosla, R., Jaiswal, A. and Deol, B. (2013) Saving Money and Energy: Case Study of the Energy-Efficiency Retrofit of Godrej Bhavan in Mumbai. Natural Resources Defense Council
- Khosla, R. (2012) Energy Efficiency in Urban Tenant Spaces: Case Study of NRDC Washington, D.C. Office. Natural Resources Defense Council
- Khosla, R., Jaiswal, A., Goldstein, D. and Deol, B. (2012) Constructing Change: Accelerating Energy Efficiency in India’s Buildings. Natural Resources Defense Council
- Jaiswal, A., Khosla, R., Goldstein, D. and Reddy, S. (2011) Taking Energy Efficiency to New Heights: Buildings Sector Analysis from Hyderabad. Natural Resources Defense Council
- Kapur, D., Khosla, R. and Mehta, P.B. (2009) Climate change: India’s options. Economic and Political Weekly, 44(31): 34-42.